posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 AM by Lawrence Esplin
updated Sep 18, 2013, 8:17 AM by Lawrence Esplin
Preview - Step Through - Practice
- Show concept
- Step through the procedure
- Practice the process
Where and what is PowerSchool? psa.washk12.org/admin - PowerSchool is several physical machines tasked to track student information. The most important is the database server. It houses all of the student information. There are five application servers that process access for administrators, teachers, parents and students. There is a testing server that is used to preview updates, an assessment server that houses student testing information including CRT scores and another server that links PowerSchool to the assessment and other databases in the district including lunch and finance.
- To find a student type part of the students last name in the Search Box. Use a / before the search to find students no longer in school. After the search is exicuted a list of students is presented.
- The field list shows you
- To select all ETS students type ets# in the Search Box.
- With students selected you can browse student information screens choose a function from the drop down including: list students, Send Email or run Quick Info Reports labelled (CS).
- Check out the How To Search link for more information on searching. Remember PowerSchool can only search on fields that exist and contain data. IN other words if a student was never marked as being ETS the ets # search will not find the student.
- To find ETS students in a specific grade type: ets # ; grade_level = 12. You can replace the 10 with any grade level. A semicolon adds an and between to logical arguments. ETS # selects students designated as ETS. The ; adds an and to tell PowerSchool to narrow the selection. The grade_level = 12 statement chooses only 12th grade students.
- To find ETS students in a two grades type: ets#;grade_level in 10,12. You can use any grade levels you wish separated by a comma. This statement acts like the previous statement but includes students in two or more grades.
- To find Low Income, LunchStatus = F; grade_level=10
- Quick Lookup
- Modify Info
- Transfer Info
- Test Scores
Fishing With Quick Info Reports
- There are many reports to use to generate information about students. We will look at a few of the most helpful offerings.
- Student Lists - The ETS Students finds and lists ETS students. On the district level it lists all students and sorts them by school.
- Current Selection Reports - These reports only work after a selection has been made by searching on the PowerSchool Home Screen or another Quick Info Report. The provide more information than lists including demographics, at risk tendencies, graduation progress, GPA and class ranks etc.
- Sorting Quick Info Reports - To sort any column in a report just click on the column title. Another click changes the sort to descending order.
- Selecting Display Columns for Quick Info Reports - Clicking on the Display Column link allows the user to hide or show columns.
- Filtering Quick Info Reports - The ETS Students finds and lists ETS students. On the district level it lists all students and sorts them by school.
Just type in the box below the column header and it will filter only fields that contain matching data.
Filters can be applied to more than one column restricting the data to fields containing data matching booth fields.
More than one filter can be placed on a single column. The filter in the Prev School Column finds only students not from Dixie Middle and not from Dixie High. The explanation mark ! is interpreted as not.
Another examples of a filter on the other column to show only students that are economically disadvantaged.
Clicking on the Help Button in the middle near the top of the screen lists all the operators used for creating filters.
- Now What - On the top right are links to Print, Export, or Select records in the report. Print needs no explanation. Export to CSV saves the current columns and rows including headers to text file that can opened in Excel or Google Docs. Make Filtered Selection uses the filtered selection in your report as the basis for a PowerSchool current selection.
Student Assessment Data
- Some assessment data can be found in Quick Info Reports but there is are also several reports dealing just with assessments.
All of the Assessment Reports work on a student selection. The Summary Report shows all of the latest test scores.
Year to Year Comparison of each CRT test allows users to see testing several uears in the past.
Mass ETS Logs
- First find the students.
- Choose SEOP - Intervention Entry from the pull down:
- Select ETS as Log Type
- Select the Sub type that is appropriate.
- Enter a Title or Subject
- Describe the log.